The Security Unit of the University is as old as the University itself. It was established in the year 2002. The Unit is under the Vice-Chancellor’s Office. The office is located by the right-hand corner on the entry to the main gate of the University. The staff that started the unit was inherited from the security unit of the defunct College of Arts Science and Technology (CAST). CAST was an Institution that metamorphosed to the present day Nasarawa State University. As the University commenced operations, the staff strength was strengthened to meet up the infrastructural development. The University commenced operations with the employment of an acting Chief Security Officer, a senior security officer (SSO), and an initial staff strength of 150 operatives. Subsequently, the pioneer Vice-Chancellor, Prof Adamu Baikie saw the need to employ a full-fledge caliber of staff as it’s practiced in other Universities. This saw the employment of the substantive Chief security officer, (CSO) Assistant Chief security officer (ACSO) Principal security officer Administration (PSO) a senior security officer 1 (SSO1) join the fleet of other security personnel to form a full fledge security unit for the University.
The mission of the security unit is to protect the lives and properties of the university by deploying well-trained, discipline, and intelligent staff driving by modern cutting-edge technology and real-time intelligence to achieve a conducive environment for learning.
Our vision is to be at the vanguard of the collective effort to make the University crime-free, where staff and students can pursue their lawful activities under an environment that enhances the security of lives and properties in line with the world-class Universities of the 21st Century.
This is achieved through the control of access to the premises of the University; carrying out patrol activities and guarding of key and vulnerable points in addition to VIP protection. The security operation is carried out in liaison with the other security agencies, like the Nigeria Police force, DSS, NSCDC, FRSC, CIB, and the Nigerian Army.
AVAILABLE UNIT – STRUCTURE AND OPERATIONS
For effective operations and administrative convenience, the security unit is structured into 4 main subunits. The subunits have distinct functions as highlighted below.
- Operations. This subunit is headed by the Assistant Chief Security Officer (ACSO). He coordinates and deploys the security staff. He ensures the smooth running of guard duties and patrol activities. He enforces all rules and regulations and oversees the activities of other sub-units. This sub-unit takes the center stage of the general security duties on the campuses and other guard posts off the campuses.
- Administration. This sub-unit is headed by the Principal Security Officer (P.S.O) of the University. He is saddled with the administrative requirements of the security unit. The sub-unit head carries out the following functions amongst others:
- Handles all the logistic matters of the security unit
- Keeps and maintains records of promotion of staff of the security unit.
- Keeps and maintains records of annual/casual leaves, hospital admission, and obituaries.
- Keeps and maintains medical records of the security staff.
- Keeps custody of lost and found property and exhibits.
- Ensures that all security vehicles are sound and road-worthy.
- Keeps and maintains records of disciplinary cases involving students only.
- The security unit’s computer operator, clerks, messengers, and cleaners are under his instructions.
- Handles all the logistic matters of the security unit.
- Investigation and Crime. This subunit is the hub of the security unit. It is headed by the senior security officer (SSO). The appointment is usually reserved for senior retired police/DSS officer who has experience in investigation and prosecution of cases in courts. He determines the relevant portion of the law that is violated and advises the management on the actions required to be taken. He impacts the knowledge to the operatives under his control. The functions of the officer includes:
- He ensures absolute control of the personnel and monitors their efficiency in crime control and investigation.
- He takes prompts the action of all cases referred or reported to the subunit.
- He ensures that investigations are carried out and reports submitted with findings within a
- reasonable time.
- Intelligence. This subunit is headed by the security officer (1). The subunit is a vital branch of the security unit. The intelligence unit collects and collates information that is processed and disseminated to the management and other relevant security services like the police and the DSS for further processing and necessary action. Such information may cover opinions of students, secret meetings, aggression, threats to lives and properties, or any other issue considered to be a threat. Personnel in this subunit perform their duties clandestinely.
FUNCTIONS OF THE SECURITY UNIT.
- Protection of lives and properties of the University
- Enforcement of Rules and Regulation of the University
- Prevent crimes including anti-social activities (cultism) and other crimes
- Ensure campus is free and safe for academic activities
- Liaison with other security agents on behalf of the University. These security agents include NPF, DSS, NSCDC, SIB, FRSC, and the Nigerian Army.
The flashpoint areas are hotspot areas where crimes are committed. In our area of operational responsibilities, the flashpoint areas include:
- Minki Suite. Parties are usually held in the hotel and anti-social activities such as initiation of fresh students at times take place there. Indian Hemp and other illicit drugs are taken freely.
- Princess Sara Suite. Parties are held almost on daily basis, illicit drugs are taken there freely. At times students get drowned in the swimming pool while in a state of stupor. Students are usually attacked at gun points and their personal effects such as handbags and telephones are snatched.
- Back of BCG behind the FRSC Office. Cases of anti-social activities take place in the area. Initiations of fresh students into
- Cults activities are always reported. Buying and selling of Indian Hemp and other illicit drugs take place there. The road is inaccessible to vehicles which is an added advantage to the perpetrators of crimes.
- Back of FM Station at Angwan Kare. A stretch of farmland there is used for initiation ceremonies for cults activities. Cults boys from different parts of the Country usually assemble there. The meeting takes place once a year.
- GRA, Back of State Ministry of Works and Housing. The sale of Indian Hemp and illicit drugs usually takes place there.
- Sabon Fegi, Shabu and Umbi I and II in Lafia. In these areas, people are attacked at gunpoint and their personal effects are snatched. Other crime includes, smoking of Marijuana, rape, initiation of fresh students and other social crimes allegedly take place there.
In case of breach of security, or when someone is under threat, it is expected that the following actions are taken. The response is not in any order.
- On receipt of a distress call through the office telephone Number 07065965947 or any medium, the patrol team rapidly moves there for the rescue.
- In case of distress calls from areas adjudged to be dangerous or hot spots outside the University campus, the security operatives go there with members of the security personnel either the Police or NSCDC. Angwan Lambu Police outpost is available to support the security unit.
- When a suspect is brought to the security office, he or she is interrogated by the investigators, and the case is treated appropriately.
- If the case is criminal in nature and is above the level of the security unit the parties are handed over to the Police for further investigation. The Nigeria Police in turn will brief the security unit on the outcome of their investigations and state the next line of action to take.
- In case of a fire outbreak, the Fire Officer can be contacted on telephone No. 07080237035 or the phone no of the Keffi Local Government Area Fire Officer on telephone No. 08039669127.
- The flashpoints are placed on surveillance by security outfits. The University security unit is part of the surveillance team.
- In cases involving illicit drugs, the NDLEA is invited to join the response team. Note that NDLEA is part of the University Security Committee.
- When a suspect is brought to the security office, he or she is interrogated and the case is treated appropriately.