DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
The Department is one of the pioneer departments of the University. It was created to train students towards the award of B.Sc. in Political Science.
Political Science Department was established alongside other departments in the 2001/2002 academic session.
Alhaji Abdullahi Sallau Modibbo was the first Coordinator of the Department. Eventually when some administrative reorganization was done Dr. S.A. Ibrahim became the Ag. Head of Political Science.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVE OF THE DEPARTMENT PHILOSOPHY
Political Science is the study of power and power relations among men within the state and the international system. In other words, it is the systematic and analytical study of the acquisition, control and exercise of power by individuals, groups and organizations within the Political System.
As an instrument for citizenship education, Political Science inculcates in the citizenry the knowledge of government, its processes, democratic ideals, values, attitudes and norms that are essential for the development and sustenance of a democratic culture and stable polity.
The study of Political Science is also useful for the understanding of relations among state and international organizations, their interdependence, co-operation, peaceful co-existence and mutual assistance.
The programme is designed to equip students with the skills, knowledge and methodology needed for in dept analysis of power and power relations among individual, group and organizations. The primary objectives of the programmes are:
- To produce proficient administrators and teachers of Government who possess sound knowledge of Political Science.
- To produce inspiring administrators and experts in government relations who not only possess confidence, skills and techniques necessary for the knowledge of political science but analyzing also possess the proper values and attitudes towards political events.
- To inculcate within the scope of the students’ training the necessary values, skills and techniques for effective and moral leadership.
- To produce the necessary training in citizenship and broaden the students’ sense and scope of participation in community as well as national affairs.
- To produce personnel who can foster the growth of international co-operation, co- existence and mutual assistance
The Departmental Staff include the followings:
- Senior Lecturers
- Lecturer 1
- Assistant Lecturers
- Graduate assistant