IT Centre[divider scroll_text=””][space height=”10″] Profile of the Director of IT
Dr Denis C. Onyekwelu officially assumed duty at the University on 1st March, 2008. Prior to his appointment as Director of ICT, he worked in various capacities and held various positions, which include: Coordinator computer science program National Mathematical center, Abuja(2004-2008); Director and Head of Information and communication Technology, National Universities Commission, Abuja(1991-2003); Chairman, Nigerian Universities Network(1996-2001); Chairman preparation committee, World Bank Assisted Nigerian University System Innovation Project(NUSIP),NUC Abuja,(1999-2002); Member of Governing council (Representing NUC)of Delta State University, Abraka(2002-2003), member of Board of Trustees(Representing NUC) Nigeria Internet Group(NIG)(1996-2001); External Examiner in computer science for Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi(2004-2006); External Examiner in computer science for the Federal Polytechnic, Nasarawa(2007 till date); Senior Lecturer and Head of Computer Science and Engineering, Anambra State University of Technology(ASUTECH), Enugu(1988-1991); Head Training and Research Division, Institute of Computer Science University of Benin(1980-1988); Member of British Computer Society(1986); Fellow of Nigerian Computer Society since 1998. Dr. Onyekwelu has published many papers in Computer science and Operations Research.
IT Centre is the Information Technology backbone of the Institution. Established March 2008 under the administration of the former Vice-Chancellor – Professor Adamu Baikie. Since its establishment, it has experienced tremendous growth in terms of infrastructures and activities. Dr. D. C. Onyekwelu is the pioneer Director and is still currently serving in the same capacity.
- Systems (Hardware and Software) installation, maintenance, Configuration and upgrading.
- Implementing a campus wide network for connecting the University to the world.
- Develop and maintain a dynamic website, portal and online learning management systems for the University.
- Providing access to the Internet & E-Mail.
- Operations and Maintenance of NSUK network Infrastructure.
- Information Systems, Internet and E-Mail Servers management and maintenance.
- Develop Software for the academic departments and administrative branches of the University.
- Procurement of all I.T. hardware, software and consumables required by departments and units of the university.
- Providing user support to Departmental staff including relevant system documentation, access to I.T. Helpdesk and one-to-one tutorials
- Organizing Workshops and Staff Development programs for academic, non academic and administrative staff
- Organizing Workshops, Certificate and Diploma Courses for the general public.
- Implementation of the Department’s I.T. Strategy.