HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Biological Sciences was established in the 2001/2002 academic session but the initial takeoff of academic activities was in March 2002. The foundation staff was S.D. Gyar, J.K. Makpo. G.A. Amuga and M.D. Makut and the first intake of students were eleven (11) in number all admitted into the Department of Biological Sciences and later streamlined into Botany, Microbiology and Zoology degree programmes at the end of 200 Level.
The Departmental administration was initially headed by a Coordinator of Biological Sciences, Mr. S.D. Gyar until in 2004 when Coordinators for the three Units were appointed. Mr. A.O. Ogaraku (now Dr. A.O. Ogaraku) was coordinator of Botany, Mr. S.D Gyar Microbiology and Mr. J.K. Makpo Zoology. Mr. S.D. Gyar still served as coordinator of the entire Department.
The first Head of Department, Professor H.O.A. Oluma was appointed in November 2005 while on sabbatical leave in the Department. He hosted the first NUC accreditation team of the Department and the Botany and Zoology programmes were successful into full accreditation status with the NUC while the Microbiology programme obtained an interim accreditation status. Professor Oluma completed his sabbatical in January 2007 and Professor E.H. Kwon-Ndung was appointed as the Head of Department from February 2007.
The Department has grown in strength in both academic activities and research linkages. The Department is currently collaborating with several institutions on research and development such as National Sugar Development Council, Abuja (NSDC) through the NSDC/NSUK Sugarcane varietal development and breeding project, National Biotechnology Development Agency Abuja (NABDA), The National Centre for Remote Sensing Jos, National Root Crops Research Institute Umudike, Sheda Science and Technology Complex Abuja among others.
The Department has successfully hosted the 3rd Annual Conference of the Zoological Society of Nigeria (2006), Microbiology Society of Nigeria (2006) and the 34th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Society for Plant Protection (2007).
Currently, the Department runs three degree programmes, namely, Microbiology, Plant Science and Biotechnology and Zoology. Students are admitted into these programmes at the beginning of the 100 Level. The Department has three functional laboratories with one laboratory dedicated to each of the degree programmes and a General Biology Laboratory. New laboratory spaces have recently been allocated to the Microbiology and Plant Science and Biotechnology programmes. Requests for benching, piping and furniture is being considered by Management. A Research and Experimental Garden is presently in existence with various indigenous and exotic species of diverse species of plants. The plot is intended to be developed into a standard Botanical Garden. A functional fish pond stocked with assorted species of fishes is available and an animal house and Insectory are planned for construction.
All the three degree programmes presently have full accreditation status with the National Universities Commission.
The minimum requirement for undergraduate admission in accordance with the minimum academic standards of the NUC is the WASC, SSCE, NECO, GCE and any other approved equivalent qualification with credit passes in at least five (5) subjects.
The subjects must include ENGLISH LANGUAGE, MATHEMATICS, BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS. Admission will be through JAMB (UME), in English language, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Qualified candidates from the University’s School of Preliminary Studies will also be admitted. Similarly, candidates with principal pass graded (A-E) at the Advanced level in BIOLOGY and any ONE of the major subjects (Chemistry, Geography, Mathematics and Physics) may be considered for Direct Entry Admission and undertake the three-year degree programme from 200 level. Such candidates must however possess the relevant O level requirements.
The normal duration of B.Sc. degree programme is four years (eight semesters) for students admitted into the 100-level and three years (six semesters) for students admitted into 200-level.
The maximum period of study permissible is six years (twelve semesters) for the four-year degree programme and five years (ten semesters) for the three-year programme. Students for the Bachelor’s degree may be admitted either by:
- Passing the Joint Admission and Matriculation Examination (University Matriculation Examination, UME) or
- Direct Entry to the three-year programme in addition to the relevant O’level requirements.
- MICROBIOLOGY DEGREE PROGRAMME
- PLANT SCIENCE AND BIOTECHNOLOGY DEGREE PROGRAMME
- ZOOLOGY DEGREE PROGRAMME
LIST OF ACADEMIC STAFF AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Professor E. H. Kwon-Ndung,
- Professor A.J. Ajayi (Contract).
- Professor G. I. Anyanwu(Contract)
- Professor S.J. Oniye (Visiting).
- Professor O. Amali (Visiting Lecturer, Parasitology)
- Professor S.P. Bako (Visiting Lecturer, Plant Physiology)
- Dr. Y.B. Ngwai (Associate Professor and Coordinator Microbiology)
- Dr. I. G. Ameh. Associate Professor, Sabbatical
- Dr. Mrs, R.A. Obande. Senior Lecturer Sabbatical, Fisheries and Hydrobiology
- Dr. M. Raji
- Dr. R.A. Anyam Senior Lecturer, Visiting
- Dr. (Mrs.) G. R. I. Pennap. Senior Lecturer, Virology
- Dr. A. O. Ogaraku. Senior Lecturer, Applied Microbiology and Plant Pathology
- Mr. S. D. Gyar. Senior Lecturer, Industrial Microbiology
- Shobbha Channgani.Senior Lecturer, Horticulture
- Dr. J. C. Onovoh. Lecturer I
- Mr. J. K. Makpo. Lecturer I
- Mr. G. A. Amuga. Lecturer I and Unit Coordinator Zoology
- Mr. M. D. Makut. Lecturer I
- Mr. J.C. Tongjura. Lecturer II
- Mr. H. A. Banyigyi. Lecturer II
- Mrs. R. J. Ombugadu. Lecturer II
- Mr. A.B. Yako. Lecturer II
- Mr. D. Ishaleku. Lecturer II
- Mr. J.A. Allahnana. Assistant Lecturer
- Mr. M.P. Adoga. Assistant Lecturer
LIST OF NON – ACADEMIC STAFF
- Mr. Usman Dodo, H.ND 1995, Chief Technologist.
- Mr. Samuel A. Aboh, ISLT (ABU, 1983.) Chief technologist
- Mr. Sunday Corosi Madaki, HND, 1993. Senior Technologist
- Miss Mercy Ubimago, HND, 2001.Technologist II
- Mrs. Naomi Ngadda, HND, 2007. Technologist II
- Mr. Abdullahi Omale, HND, 2006. Technologist II
- Mrs. Larai Hassan, OND, 2006. Assistant Technologist
- Mr. Gyangzu Audu Boyi, Laboratory Supervisor
- Mr. Sunday Dickson, Laboratory Attendant
- Miss Ladi Ekpo, Cleaner
- Mrs. Tina Alu, Cleaner
- Mr. Jonathan Ashakata, Gardener
- Mr. D.O. Akpa, (N.C.E). Computer Operator & Secretary